Sunday, January 22, 2006

One cup at a time

Change is hard... No matter how small the change is. I've been trying to make a couple of changes in my life. I think I have successfully made one change. Instead of Starbucks, I've been trying to go to a local coffee chain. It's got really great coffees and teas. I like it significantly better than Starbucks. The problem with changing to it is that it is a teeny bit longer of a drive, they have horrible parking (too small of a lot), and they are slower. The people that work there are very nice though. I can get to Starbucks and home in 15 minutes. When I go to the local coffee chain it's closer to 1/2 hour given all the issues (listed above). It makes me feel like a better person to go to the local chain. It was much harder for me to go to the local chain in December. In December, I would start out for the local chain coffee shop and then end up at Starbucks because of auto-pilot driving. Now, it's getting more automatic to go to the local one. Yay!

My other change is to bring my own cup to the coffee shop. I've been remebering to do this probably 4 days a week. I literally go to the coffee shop every day. I love coffee, but my husband hates it--he can't even stand the smell of me brewing it at home. Because I love my husband I make the sacrifice and go out to get coffee every day. (It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.) Anyway, since I go every day, I end up tossing 365 cups a year. I feel it's my duty to take my own cup as often as possible and not create that much waste.

If I'm up to remembering my own cup 4 days a week, that's significantly less cups tossed because of me. Yay me. I'm working on it. I think that I'll soon be remembering every day. Perhaps I need to stick an emergency back up cup in the back of my car for when I do forget. (What a good idea that was! Good ideas come from blogging! Even when you're only talking to yourself!)

No comments: