Sunday, January 29, 2006

Everyday

Everyday I find about 17,000 more things I want to write about. I write about the minutiae, but that's ok. That's where I'm living right now. I'm loving it. I'm loving hanging out with my little girls. I'm okay with being behind at work. The girls are more important. I'm having fun right now watching K (20 months) draw with magic markers (washable!) and N (4) play with her pixter and draw with the stylus. K is being very careful to only color on the paper (a first) and she has a paintbrush (it's dry and there is no paint) but she is pretending to paint. It's very cute and I'm very happy.

I often call my husband during the day to ask him if he's as happy as I am. Even when I'm overwhelmed, underneath it all, I'm happy. It's a nice place.

N is drawing a picture of me with her in my belly. N is a little obsessed with babies and birthing them. She knows all about how they grow inside of you, about the umbilical cord, and about how they come out now. What she hasn't figured out is how they get in there. I'm kind of of the "don't ask, don't tell" school of thought right now. She's asked me how they get inside and I've skirted the issue with, well, they start really really small and grow and that satisfied her. When she asks, "But how do they get in there in the first place?" we'll have "the talk." It's not that I don't want her to know, but 4 seems so young and she hasn't really and truly asked.

I think I'm a bit squeamish because my parents were definitely squeamish about the topic. I think I'm going to get this book.... It's called a "classic." Looks good to me.

I think 30 years ago my parents could be more squeamish about talking to me than I can be talking to my girls. Things have changed a lot. The world is a different place. Our culture is different. I don't like the American attitude toward sex and nakedness and women and breasts, and I need to talk to the girls to share with them my perspective so they can learn what I believe rather than getting it from someone else. (Just so you don't think I'm totally neglecting my duties as a Mom to little girls....We have talked with N (4) about "her parts" and how they are hers and how no one should try and touch her there.)

This seems interesting too but for a bit older of a kid. I don't like the description of an embarrassed Bee, but perhaps it works for the older kid.

This one is actually one I think looks really good. (I read the reviews and I like the reviews on this one.)

Besides writing this post and looking up "sex" books on Amazon I'm also supervising the cutest 20 month old and 4 year old that I know as they are painting with watercolors. And that's another entry in and of itself.

No comments: