Tuesday, December 06, 2005

On this day 1 year ago...

I was pregnant with little T, but I didn't know it. We had had difficulty conceiving N. We used the same protocol at a higher dosage to get pregnant with K (in the summer of '03) as we did with N because my bloodwork indicated that we would have difficulty conceiving again. I didn't even want to try on our own because the trying part was so not fun for me when we were having difficulty. Any one who has experienced infertility or subfertility knows that trying is not actually fun. It's stressful. My bloodwork indicated that things were worse (high FSH) when I wanted to get pregnant with K. Luckily we did get pregnant with K quickly (with the help of the drugs).

A year ago today I did not think it would be at all possible to get pregnant on my own. I was only 6 and 1/2 months post partum after K. I was still nursing exclusively. (Yes, I know nursing is not a reliable birth control method, but since my bloodwork hadn't looked good in the summer of '03 I had no belief that I would be able to get pregnant again without medical help. I was sure I was in even worse shape FSH-wise since it was a year later too.) I was thinking that it would be fun to have a #3. I was thinking that it might be fun to try again in about a year. I was worried that we might not be able to get pregnant. Little did I know that I was pregnant.

If I would have been paying attention to my cycles, a year ago today I could have used a pregnancy test and found out I was indeed pregnant (hence the reason for this entry). I wasn't paying any attention.

We found out I was pregnant on Christmas Day. I was about 7 weeks pregnant. I had been having some symptoms. To say I was shocked when I found out is an understatement. To say we're thrilled we have little T now is also an understatement. I'll probably spend a few more posts talking about our wonderful Christmas surprise and how I finally clued (after about 1,000 symptoms) into thinking about peeing on a stick. In the meantime, for education and entertainment, there's this site.

No comments: