Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Worth every penny (also money talks)

I am giving myself a genius parenting award.... (remember all is done in fun around here).

Yesterday, I needed some time to get some work done before we went somewhere and I needed to get the girls ready to go.  I didn't have enough time to get both done and my "freeze time powers" weren't working.  I reached in my bag of mommy tricks and offered each girl  a dollar if they could get 1) their shoes on, 2) their hair brushed, 3) their water bottles filled, 4) their books to read, and 5) be in car before me.  I gave them 10 minutes.  They made it in like 7 minutes.  We made it to our appointment on time and I got almost everything done that I needed to do!  Woo!  Go me.

I don't like to bribe them, but sometimes, it is necessary.  We all get rewards for certain behaviors from our spouses, our friends, our employers, and whether we like it or not, this is part of life.  I recommend using your bribes at strategic times so that they can be effective.  If I did it all the time, I'd have to pay them for everything.

No comments: