Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-chia!

I just got chia seeds, no, not to grow a pet, but to eat.

They are a nutritional super-food, and folks all over the blogosphere are raving about them. I made "banana pudding" with them the other day. (Go read what I linked to above and google Chia Seeds to learn more. They are anti-inflammatory, high in Omega-3s, high in antioxidants, high in calcium, a complete protein, and high in fiber.)

I soaked 2 tablespoons of them for a couple of hours (probably 3/4s of a cup of water). When you soak them, they expand and turn into a gel. Then I took a couple of bananas and blended it all together. Super yum. I split this with MWH. I want the girls to eat some chia, but in the "pudding" you can see the seeds and it looks like there are little black balls in it. twoK wouldn't eat it based on looks alone. Three-a tried a bite, but the look kind of put her off. You can easily soak the chia seeds and stick them in the blender and make fruit smoothies with them. I tried this too, but I had the seeds soak for overnight first. I only put a few in twoK's shake and she didn't notice. I'll add more next time.

(Soaking them overnight is good because they get softer and then their texture is harder to detect. Remember, twoK has a thing about odd textures.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so far removed from anything healthy. What's become of me? I struggled with this all of last year and have not been able to get my groove back after the holidays. I'm hoping something clicks soon because my attitude in this area of my life right now (not to mention the size of my ASS) is downright depressing. At least I'm running long distances again :::insert weak cheer here::::.