Saturday, July 25, 2009

Excellent!

I've been watching with interest as Swistle worked to make extra nutritious muffins and was excited when she debuted the recipe. Yesterday, I made the muffins. (I've been craving pumpkin lately.)

I went for maximal nutrition! I put in 1/2 cup of flax 'cause I misread the recipe. It was the first time I'd ever baked with flax seeds... I love it! I had whole flax seeds and had to try and grind them. I put them in the food processor. It took a long time to get them to look like "meal" rather than seeds. I'm guessing there are better grinders out there for this type of thing, but, eventually it worked.

I dumped all wet and dry stuff together in the mixer (because my girls were helping me bake; I had no control and two bowls were way too complicated!) and the muffins came out just yummy. So, if you're like me and get confused by two bowls, it doesn't seem to be necessary. I mixed and mixed it for a long time until it was very battery.

Swistle notes that her silicone muffin pans leave a scorched flavor. I haven't experienced that. I oiled and floured the silicone pan. No sticking and no scorched flavor. These muffins are very moist, and very filling. I only made 12. They are HUGE. I'm guessing 400-500 calories per muffin. They are great for eating before going to a workout class.

Oh, and, we were out of white sugar so I used mostly brown sugar with a little powdered sugar (3/4 cup brown 1/2 cup powered). I read on the web you can substitute 1 and 3/4 cup powered for 1 cup sugar.

No comments: