Sunday, January 25, 2009

Zow-y

I had a headache yesterday. I was worried I was going to get an aura and have a migraine, but fortunately, that didn't happen.

I was supposed to get a pedicure yesterday, but I was really worried that all the fumes would send my head over the edge, so I didn't go... My lovely friends understood and we'll go next week. (I'm good anytime after 11 on Saturday. Later in the afternoon or closer to 11 is better... Any preferences PS or Zaz?)

I took a nap and then MWH got me "Excedrin Migraine." The astute headache medicine taker will note that Excedrin Migraine is exactly the same as Extra Strength Excedrin.

See for more about why this might be the case (copied and pasted below in case the link goes away).

5. Predictably Irrational
By Dan Ariely
HarperCollins, 2008

Dan Ariely is a mischievous scientist: He delights in duping business students, getting them to make decisions that, in retrospect, seem utterly ridiculous. In "Predictably Irrational," an engaging summary of his research, Ariely explains why brand-name aspirin is more effective than generic aspirin even when people are given the same pill under different labels (paying more produces the expectation of better results, and the headache complies), and why the promise of getting something without paying for it -- such as free shipping, or a free T-shirt if we buy two other shirts -- prompts shoppers to spend more money than they would have in the absence of the offer. (In other words, we go broke trying to save a buck.) In one of his most famous experiments, Ariely showed how exposing people to a few random digits can later dramatically influence how much they bid for wine: Higher numbers lead to higher bids. The lesson, Ariely says, is that the rational brain is a feeble piece of machinery.


My head responded though. I think it was the 65 mg of caffeine and not the label. After the Excedrin, my head felt mostly better and I felt very awake!

Today, my head feels pretty good and I'm going to try to keep it that way.

MWH let me sleep in this morning. I got up at 9:40!

Now the little girls are running around and making lots of noise and I'm not flinching with pain. Life is good.

1 comment:

Zaz said...

Doh, I'm busy with my other girlfriends (what riches!) this Saturday, meeting them at 12 in the city. I could maybe do an afternoon/evening this week?