Saturday, January 03, 2009

Review of 2008 Goals

Wow...Last year, I had a LOT of goals. I'll update below. Note, I organized in categories last year, so it's not too hard to read. I'll place last year's goals in small font and the status update in regular-sized font.

All the goals look a little overwhelming in one place, but really, it wasn't that bad. I come back and look at my lists and goals during the year and check in on myself during the year, but I only do a "formal review" once a year .... It took me a few days to go through and write all this. Feel free to skip this post... It's for me, and it's one of the reasons I have a blog. The goals for 2009 will appear in another post.



Foodwise...

1. Now that we're eating a lot more whole grains, I plan to get us to eat more fruit and vegetables and even fewer processed foods. We eat a pretty darn healthy diet, but there is always room for improvement.

1b. I'm working on eating less ice cream. I eat a pint of ice cream most nights. That's not very healthy. But actually, in the last month, I have been a lot better. I think I've only eaten 5 or 6 pints total (in the whole month). I'm working on switching to eating oatmeal, cereal, or something like that if I'm hungry before bed.


We're eating a lot more grains. We're eating a lot more fruit and veggies. I'll have a post about Acai soon. I probably only ate less than 10 pints of ice cream TOTAL last year. And no whole pints... I gave it up and I don't really miss it. We have gone out for ice cream some.... I don't know, maybe I have eaten a little more, I don't know. I go weeks without any types of sweets (besides fruit) now. I just don't miss it. Sometimes, the taste of sweet things makes me feel ill. (Yea, I know, you all hate me, but I just don't miss the processed food/sweet.)


Workout-wise
2. Work out more often and do more physical activities with the girls. I just realized I should let the girls see me work out and get them to play along. It's part of modeling a healthy life-style. I plan to do workout tapes with them around.

MWH just bought me some weights... 12 pounders... I am remember when I went up to 9 pounders... I think it will be fairly easy to do 5-10 minutes of arm work most days/nights. That will be good for me.

My goal by the end of the year is to do 3 heavy workouts a week and 1-2 light ones. If I can't manage 3 heavy ones, then for sure 2 good ones and 3-4 light ones. I do sit-ups most every day now and push-ups too. (I just need to keep that up.)



I am doing about 4 heavy work outs a week and sometimes 5! I have just started doing more videos at home (Zumba!) and I plan to start helping with PE at oNe's school (more on that soon). I think I"ll be modeling lots of healthy life-style stuff there.

My 12 pound weights... From April - July I was using them a lot. Then I discovered Zumba.... I sort of stopped doing as many weights when I learned about Zumba. I <3 Zumba. I have managed to gain some strength though. I can do 17 BOY push ups now and last year at the beginning of the year it was only 10.

Sit-ups... Zumba is an hour of core while dancing. Seriously. I should do sit-ups on my exercise ball. I do sit-ups in my aerobics class.


Work-wise
3. Determine how I can work "in one direction" rather than 10 (or even 5). I'm really not good at this, but I need to learn how to do this. I need to learn to say NO and I need to learn to let go of some of my interests... At least for a while. I need to let myself go hourly at work for a while (if necessary). I need to not let myself stress about being hourly. There will be plenty of opportunities in the future.

When my supervisor left where I work, I made the decision to teach this fall and work very little at the place where I work. It was good. I am now ready to go back and work in one direction on one project. I may take on one other thing, but right now, I am feeling recharged and refreshed. We'll see how long that lasts when I go back to work on a regular basis.


Fun-wise
4. Hang with friends more often. Last year, I think we had 2 or 3 dinners at our house... Probably 3 or 4 afternoon play dates... I'd like to do more things social.

I think we were a little better this year, but not a lot. When my Dad got sick, it kind of changed a lot this fall.


5. Hang with MWH more often! We used to occasionally get an afternoon date. This last year, we didn't get very much time to ouselves, but hopefully this coming year we can get an afternoon once a month or so.


We did a little in this category. I'm not sure if we managed once a month, but we did manage a few times. I think it was better this fall--except I was pretty busy with teaching and going to see my Dad. I even managed to meet MWH for lunch at least a couple of times this year (alone). Here's hoping we'll be able to continue! We managed to get a night away (n3nny was with the girls) for the first time in 6.5 years for our 10th anniversary. That was fun.


House-wise
6. Start in on organizing the loft. The loft is supposed to be our office. We need to start unpacking boxes, get shelves, and figure out what to do up there. It's a nice space. We need to use it.


We JUST got some of the books on the bookshelves YESTERDAY. Since I only said "start in" I'm in good shape on this goal! This year I'll continue! A big thanks to MWH for painting the shelves. A big thanks to oNe for helping me start! Another big thanks to MWH for making a second pass on organizing his books and giving me more shelf space and now, today oNe and I get to do more.



7. We need to get new light fixtures (for the entryway, the living room, the loft).

Check. (I actually can't take any credit on this one... MWH did an amazing job! He is so good!) (I guess I helped pick out light fixtures... but he did the rest on organizing and making sure it happened. I love MWH.)

8. Get the backyard ready for the girls and landscaped.

Um.... we JUST started in on the planning phase. I'll keep you posted.


9. Hang more pictures on the walls.


I failed miserably, but the girls hung a lot of art on the walls!


10. Get a new front door.


Check! (Again, thanks to MWH!)

Summary
Not bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not bad at all. No wonder you've gotten so skinny. It was the ice cream! I love your goals. Maybe I should become a more goal oriented person. I've thought about that a lot lately.

Zaz said...

You are clearly kicking ass! Very impressive. I know I'm not half so accomplished with regards to exercise and diet. I can't believe you ate that much ice cream though! I never do. I can't IMAGINE not liking sweets though. I have always had SUCH a sweet tooth!