Saturday, July 26, 2008

Before Carseats

When I was a kid, we didn't have carseats. Heck, we didn't even wear seat belts most of the time. It was the early 70s! I remember riding on the console in the middle of my parents car... It was the armrest/cupholder thing, and there was no seat belt. It put me up high so I could see the world. It also put me up high so I would have been catapulted out the front windshield if there had been an accident. Thank goodness there wasn't.

Anyway, this is all to lead in to say I know how to crawl over seats while a car is in motion when I was very young. I got a lot or practice on family vacations. I relieved my childhood and did this today when I wanted something out of the way back and we didn't want to stop again. The girls observed in horror. They were sitting in the middle row of the behemoth rental car we have. I had to get something from the way-way back. I had to go from my front seat, to their row, over them, and into the third row of seats and dig in the way-way back storage area. Then I had to reverse it. N (6.5) suggested I just sit in the third row and buckle up. She wasn't so much concerned with my safety, but rather that I might step on her and / or injure the portable DVD player.

Heh.

No comments: