Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Year and new goals

Last year, I wrote this... This year, I'm not going to attempt to do a summary post for the year. I think I pretty much blogged it live. I will do a recap of my goals from last year and to discuss my new goals.


(Here were the 2007 goals in case you didn't click back)
1. Eat more whole grains. In general, we eat in a pretty healthy fashion, but getting more of these into our diet is my goal for 2007. I just found spelt tortillas that are pretty tasty to replace white flour ones. I need to find more recipes that use brown rice. We just tried a whole wheat pasta tonight and "not bad" was the verdict. Perhaps it will grow on us.

2. Hang with the girls more and specifically make sure I can spend more one-on-one time with each girl.

3. Learn to say NO better and also figure out what my limits are so I don't end up stressed.




I successfully accomplished #1 and did an okay job with #2. My strategy on Goal # 2 changed mid-way through the year... I decided I wanted to spend more time with all the girls together. I accomplished doing that, but now I am going to try to spend more one-on-one time with each girl again. I've missed it. It's good for us to have both all-the-girls-together-time and one-on-one time. I am delighted that the girls are getting old enough for one parent to be able to handle taking all 3 girls out by themselves for multiple hours now. It's good!

For Goal # 3.... I think we can all agree I failed MISERABLY. Maybe, just maybe, I learned something about my limits. (Yea, right...) Oh well, two goals out of three isn't bad, right?


So what are the new goals for this year?

Foodwise...

1. Now that we're eating a lot more whole grains, I plan to get us to eat more fruit and vegetables and even fewer processed foods. We eat a pretty darn healthy diet, but there is always room for improvement.

1b. I'm working on eating less ice cream. I eat a pint of ice cream most nights. That's not very healthy. But actually, in the last month, I have been a lot better. I think I've only eaten 5 or 6 pints total (in the whole month). I'm working on switching to eating oatmeal, cereal, or something like that if I'm hungry before bed.

Workout-wise
2. Work out more often and do more physical activities with the girls. I just realized I should let the girls see me work out and get them to play along. It's part of modeling a healthy life-style. I plan to do workout tapes with them around.

MWH just bought me some weights... 12 pounders... I am remember when I went up to 9 pounders... I think it will be fairly easy to do 5-10 minutes of arm work most days/nights. That will be good for me.

My goal by the end of the year is to do 3 heavy workouts a week and 1-2 light ones. If I can't manage 3 heavy ones, then for sure 2 good ones and 3-4 light ones. I do sit-ups most every day now and push-ups too. (I just need to keep that up.)

Work-wise
3. Determine how I can work "in one direction" rather than 10 (or even 5). I'm really not good at this, but I need to learn how to do this. I need to learn to say NO and I need to learn to let go of some of my interests... At least for a while. I need to let myself go hourly at work for a while (if necessary). I need to not let myself stress about being hourly. There will be plenty of opportunities in the future.

Fun-wise
4. Hang with friends more often. Last year, I think we had 2 or 3 dinners at our house... Probably 3 or 4 afternoon play dates... I'd like to do more things social.

5. Hang with MWH more often! We used to occasionally get an afternoon date. This last year, we didn't get very much time to ouselves, but hopefully this coming year we can get an afternoon once a month or so.

House-wise
6. Start in on organizing the loft. The loft is supposed to be our office. We need to start unpacking boxes, get shelves, and figure out what to do up there. It's a nice space. We need to use it.

7. We need to get new light fixtures (for the entryway, the living room, the loft).

8. Get the backyard ready for the girls and landscaped.

9. Hang more pictures on the walls.

10. Get a new front door.


That's probably enough for now, eh? It's going to be a busy year.

No comments: