Friday, July 06, 2007

beds, peanut butter, blueberries, black beans and Chop chop!

No, it's not a store list, but all of the random things I've been meaning to talk about. I figure if I put them in the blitle* then at least I have a reminder of what I wanted to talk about when I started. A roadmap of sorts.

Beds

When N (now 5.5) was around 3 (K's age now), we noticed strange scratch marks on the footboard of her bed. It was odd... I figured she was somehow scratching the footboard with her trains as she played with them. Over the course of two or three weeks, there were more and more scratch marks. I watched her playing and I couldn't figure it out. One day I saw her slide off her bed in her jeans and I realized it must have been the rivets on her jeans scratching the bed...

Then I noticed the same kind of scratches were on the headboard.... there was no way it was from the rivets on her jeans because she couldn't slide on the headboard... Then I noticed that the scratches were in pairs... two close together.... Then I noticed that they actually looked like teeth marks....

When I asked her about it, she told me she had been biting her bed. She couldn't give me a good reason for why. We covered the footboard and headboard of her bed with towels (and taped them down) and she soon outgrew the little beaver stage. Recently she told me she did it because she thought her bed was a cookie....

Kids are odd!

Now K (3) (same age as N was when she was biting her bed) keeps trying to unscrew a screw on her bed at night. She'll get up and tell us, "I unscrewed the screw," ... or, "I almost unscrewed the screw again."

I'm starting to think that at age 3, it's part of development to do something weird to your bed**. We'll see what T (22 months) does in about a year and one-half.

Peanut Butter, Blueberries and Black Beans

N likes "peanut butter, no peanuts" aka "smooth peanut butter." N also likes "Blueberry jelly, no blueberries..." meaning no whole blueberries. K was eating refried black beans last night (all smashed up), but she didn't want to eat the few recognizable beans that were left... I asked her if she wanted refried beans, no beans.... She said yes. Heh.

Chop-Chop!

I'm always telling the little girls to hurry... I say "chop-chop" or "choppity-chop-chop" a lot. T, K and I went to Target the other day. Before we got out of the car, I decided to take a peek at the crackberry and check my email. I had a message I wanted to read. T got impatient while I was reading and said, "Chop-chop Mommy!"

Heh.


*MWH says when blitle is written, it doesn't look like he expects it to ... blitle rhymes with title and means blog title.
**Not really. I think it's because they are bored and aren't ready to fall asleep so they look for something fun to do. N still napped at 3, but then at night it took her a long time to fall asleep, but if she didn't nap, the evenings were so unpleasant. Same with K. It's tough to be 3!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - I always say "Move your donkey!" (Get it? Move your ass? LOL)

Fun, informative post. :)

RUTH said...

I've handed on one of H & K's cots and mean to get the other one ready to go. K's is very gnawed. The cots are like this http://www.genesisfurniture.co.nz/furniture/oxford.htm and have "teething strips" along the sides to prevent bite marks. Well clearly they are for some kind of unimaginative kids who don't chew the ends or the corners.

Anonymous said...

Hearing "chop chop" from a toddler is quite amusing! Don't you love it when you hear your girls say things the way you do? Too cute!