Tuesday, March 20, 2007

so many posts...

I have so many posts floating around in my head... Hold on 'cause I'm going to do several in one.

1. My friend KJ recently wrote this post. I could write a similar post about "just one more bout with bronchitis..."

We'll see if the weight loss sticks when I'm fully well, but in the last 3 weeks I've lost 3.5 pounds due to bronchitis. A silver lining to being sick. I am currently about 3-4 pounds away from the pre-N-pregnancy weight.

2. Speaking of getting pregnant... I am about to hit a milestone... (No I'm not pregnant!) See if you can follow my complicated thinking here... T is 19 months old. When she is 19.5 months old, I will have been "not pregnant" for a longer duration of time than since before my first pregnancy.

(In other words, because that's still confusing... First pregnancy in 2000 (miscarriage); then about a year later the pregnancy that resulted in N; then 19.5 months later the pregnancy that resulted in K; then 6.5 months later the pregnancy that resulted in T. Now here we are 19 months later and hopefully all done.)

I am most likely done with pregnancy. It's the end of an era.

Recently, I joked to MWH about seeing if "http://4littlegirls-ohmy.blogspot.com/index.html" was available. He whimpered. No worries, MWH, I think 3 is a lovely number. Four would do us in. Seriously. I know this. Besides, I have a lot of other things I'm scheming about and a fourth baby would make those things impossible. (Stay tuned! I have a new mission!)

My friend KH of Team H is going to do four... I admire her and R (her husband) for their courage. When KH and I spoke the other day, she implied that I should do 4 because she was doing it.

Not going to go there was my reply.

I've heard that 4 isn't that much harder than 3, and in many ways, I believe it, but I don't think it's right for us. I have friends with 2 (DM!) who kept asking when we were going to do 4... I told her as soon as she and her husband did 3.

Though I'm sad that I won't have another baby, there's always a last baby. T gets to be the last baby of mine. And then in about 25-30 years there will be grandbabies (I hope)... and that will be FUN! I can spoil them and snuggle them and then leave them to their parents. Heh.

3. Whole-grain goodness
I've been on a whole-grain kick for a while now. I made a goal to try to get more whole grain foods into our diet at the beginning of the year.

Our biggest problem was pasta. We eat it often and I didn't know if we'd like the whole grain options.

We've liked a few of the ones we've tried. Our favorites so far are the Barilla one and the Rotini one. We had a Whole Wheat kind from Trader Joe's (not pictured) that we also liked. I didn't mind the Lifestream one (laying down) but MWH and N (5) really didn't like it! K (2.75) and T (19 months) ate it. (Note, if K eats it--she usually doesn't eat new things--it can't be too bad.)

I'm excited to try the Kamut one. I have a recipe with spinach, onion, tomatoes, Italian Sausage, and parmesan cheese that I love and this might work with it. I'll make a post with the recipe if it works well.

In general, we're eating a lot more whole grains. We're doing brown rice fairly often, whole grain pasta, and whole grain tortillas. We still eat a lot of sourdough bread...Sourdough is a white bread, but it has a lower glycemic index (about 30% lower from what I've read) than other white breads. It's not as good as whole wheat or other whole grains, because it lacks fiber and other types of nutrition (e.g., vitamins and minerals) but it's not as bad as plain old white bread. (The gylcemic index is lower because sourdough bread is more acidic than plain white bread. Cool, eh?)

I'm still figuring out how to cook with more whole grains. So far, I've learned that you need a little more spice in your cooking when you're doing whole grains. I'm also trying to work in more whole grains here and there... I've started buying whole grain sourdough bread sometimes. Change is hard. I'm working to improve our diet, but it doesn't happen overnight.

4. There's more, but I'm tired and I still have some work to finish.

No comments: