Friday, December 08, 2006

Little girls X 3

N's (4 and 11/12ths!) teacher told me that she wasn't listening very well at school. Sigh. Well, actually, I'm not too upset. She's usually really good at school and then sooooo hyper at home. It's kind of nice for me not to have to deal with her difficult listening habits and for the school to have to for a change. (Is it awful of me to think that?) I spoke with her and she said she would work on listening better. We'll see what happens. I will continue to remind her every morning that we need to be a good listener all the time.

I know she's probably not listening too well because she's getting excited about 1) Christmas, 2) moving to the new house, and 3) her fifth birthday. I know that she's also getting sick of running errands to get stuff for the new house. I was so proud of her today when we went to look at some window coverings today. She was so good.


****************

K (2.5) is actually starting to wean. She's only nursing about 30 seconds at night (by her own choice) and about one minute in the morning (I usually have to ask her to stop). When she stops nursing she says, "I nursed a lot! I'm just like a little vacuum cleaner." I called her a vacuum cleaner once. She can get the milk going like you wouldn't believe. She is very efficient.

Since starting to wean, I have seen her eating habits improve. The last week, she's asked for a fruit smoothie every day. I have obliged. I blend vanilla yogurt, frozen strawberries, banana and soy milk. I am thrilled she eats (drinks) it. Today she asked for an apple. I was shocked! She's been such a horrible eater her whole life. That's one of the reasons I didn't push her to wean. I wanted to know she was getting some nutrition. Who knows, perhaps if I would have weaned her sooner, she would have started eating better sooner. We'll never know though. I have no regrets for not weaning her sooner. We're not "done" by any stretch of the imagination, but we are started! (I'm trying not to feel guilty about weaning her. I shouldn't. She has been nursing for 30 months!)

She's decided she is a big girl. She is sleeping better (mostly). She's still in kind of a rough phase. I guess, it's not unexpected. She is so independent and it's been all about her learning to do EVERYTHING by herself. I can't complain too much though because she will take herself in to the bathroom all by herself (when she feels like it) and that's pretty amazing for 2 year old. Despite the fact that the last 3 months have been very tough with her, I can't complain too much. Hopefully she'll be emerging from the bad phase soon. (Before 3 months ago, she was pretty horrible with her sleep patterns, but not in such a bad place with her behavior.)


****************

T (15.5 months). What can I say? She's in a good place. She loves to laugh. She still screams like a T__-dactyl, but maybe, just a teeny bit less? I'm feeling like my hearing isn't being damaged every time I turn around. She's getting a few new words. She has said her own name and pointed to herself. She's pretending with toys. She loves to dance and for her age, she's really good. N wasn't very coordinated (still isn't) when she was young. (I think it's partially because she was always soooo tall.) K was very coordinated, and T is might even be more coordinated. (I think--it's a little hard to quantify). T loves to dance to the alphabet song and the theme song to "Little Einsteins."

T goes to bed so well at night. The week of Thanksgiving, when I was at my wit's end in relation to sleep, I started ignoring her when she woke up for her early morning nursing (around 4 or 5). Though I knew she didn't need to nurse, in my sleep deprived state I worried about whether she'd be okay if I didn't nurse her. I'm happy to report that she sleeps all night now (from 9 pm - 7:30 or 8 am). She tends to wake up a little earlier than we like (7:30-ish) but on overcast mornings she's been known to sleep until 9 or 9:30 (you go girl!)

It's going to be interesting to see what T does with the Christmas tree. We didn't a tree for N's first Christmas because we were too worried that she'd pull it down. For K's first and second Christmas, she did surprisingly well with the tree. N did really well with the tree her second Christmas (she was almost 2). She even helped decorate it. One favorite memory is her 3rd Christmas (almost 3) when she called it a "'mas tree." She couldn't quite say Christmas tree and the way she said 'mas tree sounded like mystery. I just told her this story and she loved hearing it.

Okay... That's all the cuteness/documentation for now.

No comments: