Sunday, December 10, 2006

Coming together?

The house is mostly painted now. Our painter is projecting that he'll be done by Thursday. I am hopeful. The colors we picked... So far, I love them!!! I can't wait to see them with the wood floor done. The burgandy I picked for the dining room... It is bold and beautiful! I love that color. When I first painted a swatch on the wall I swooned. Seriously.

(I found it on the web on the paint company's web site, but it's not nearly as good. I'll try to post some pictures of it in our house soon.)

Did I tell you about the nightmare I had about the paint I had originally picked for most of the house? I freaked out and re-thought things and I am so glad I went with a lighter color. Yea, it's very light, but it looks good. I can always add more color later (if I can figure out where to do another accent wall). The lighter color will give us more freedom in terms of furniture. I don't think I would have liked the darker color. The new paint has really updated the house a lot.

One negative, the painter painted the downstairs bathroom a different color than I wanted. I wanted it to be the same color as the girls' bedroom, but it's the same color as the rest of the downstairs (in semi-gloss). Not the end of the world and I'm actually not even going to worry about it. I'm going with it.

Who knows, maybe I'll like the painter's choice for the bathroom walls... I can still do fun things with towels and other things in their bathroom. The very pale yellow may have looked horrible with the counter... I don't know. We'll see what the more neutral color (he picked) looks like soon. (It's hard to see in their bathroom because the lights aren't installed and there's just a portable work light in there.)

Someday we will have to buy some more furniture, but for the time being I just want to move and then figure things out. We'll have a roomy house for a while. We'll need to buy throw rugs and all that good stuff, but I want to savor figuring that out. (I'm sure I'll be ready to by a throw rug for the living room very quickly though as little girls will be playing on hard wood floors otherwise.)

The counter tops are scheduled to go in on Monday for the kitchen and our bathroom. I'm not sure when the counter for the girls' bathroom and the guest bathroom will be put in.

The next things are lining up the carpet cleaner (I kept the downstairs carpet), figuring out closet organizers, and beginning to pack/sort here. The one good thing about having been in a temporary house for a year and 3 months (but who is counting?) and not having unpacked all the way is that a lot of junk our precious possessions are in boxes so we don't have to re-pack them!

I think we'll be moving in without a mantle on the fireplace, but we just need a little more time to figure that out. (I wonder how long it will be not finished. I think we should make a goal to finish it before my birthday. MWH, I've always wanted a mantle for my birthday!)

******************

My work presentation seems to be coming together too. I have so many things I still want to and need to say, to make the right argument, but I don't know if I'll get it all done today. I've sent part of what I've added to my supervisor and we'll make it happen. My supervisor leaves on Wednesday so he'll look it over today, we'll quickly talk on Monday (we have visitors from another company on Monday) and then we'll do more strategizing on Tuesday and then I'll keep working on it after he leaves.

The big goal for me is to remember to be soft-spoken during the presentation. I am often rather passionate about my work. I need to remain calm, speak softly, and make them want to hear more.

No comments: