Saturday, October 14, 2006

offline sort of ... errrr... well...

I got a blackberry yesterday. I've been thinking of doing this since August. I seriously had to think about a lot of things because I could see it taking over my life.

I am not going to let myself play with it too much. Heh.

My rules:

I won't do emails at the park.

I won't do emails when driving unless I am stuck in a traffic jam and don't move for an hour (this happened to me on Thursday). I literally only moved about 1 mile in 1 hour. Talk about frustrating! Talk about an absolute and total waste of my life. The good thing (because I am PollyAnna) was I got to talk to my friend who is abroad, but the bad thing was she had to listen to me complain about traffic. The good thing was that it made her realize she didn't miss the traffic here. (A quick wave to DM!)

I will use the blackberry when I am waiting along by myself and it's not easy to take a computer or there is no wireless (e.g., dentist office, doctor office--probably alone 3-4 times a year).

If I use it judiciously, which is my plan, it will not buy me that much more online time. I decided to go with it for the ability to transfer data back and forth between my phone and computer, and to get a way to easily synchronize my calendar. (Can't synchronize to where I work, but it's a step in the right direction. It was a little nerve-wracking to me that my old phone, where my calendar lived, wasn't backed-up at all.)

I'll let you know how the judicious thing goes.

So far, I like it though I don't understand why you have to hit ALT instead of NUM to get a number when you are typing. This doesn't make sense to me at all. Hello... NUM is right below the numbers. NUM tends to mean numbers. ALT doesn't. Wouldn't NUM make sense?! Design should make sense for the user in my opinion, not the technology. It there is a reason, and you know it, please explain.

If I don't blog too much in the next day or so, don't worry about me. I'm figuring out the new toy.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

My beautiful new laptop which I am very fond of (which I'd say even if it wasn't listening) has a couple of serious design flaws. The most obvious one is that it has a mute light with a mute symbol one can easily see, no problem so far. Below the mute light is a button with a label that is nearly invisible. Is the button the mute button? No. The button is the increase volume button. The mute button is below the wireless lan label and light.