Sunday, February 12, 2006

Vacation fun... (Part 2)

Where was I? Ahh... Friday afternoon. When T (5.5 months) woke up we took her outside and K (21 months) too. K played a bit outside near the pool with a ball. K had fun and it wasn't too hard to keep her out of the water. She wanted to go swimming, but she is easily distracted. I brought down empty water bottles and filled them for her and she poured them back into the pool. We also walked around and found all the fountains. K discovered the joy of throwing pennies into them. T was happy to watch and take it all in.

Friday night at dinner, K (21 months) seemed so much better. She ate a lot, and then started running around and having fun. That's the thing with croup, it lulls you into a false security because it's always better in the day. At bedtime though, I started to get worried. K fell asleep around the normal time, but woke up 1/2 an hour later because she was coughing.

At 10, I had her in the bathroom with the shower running hot making it as steamy as possible. We did this on and off all night. I spent way too much time in that bathroom. It's all a blur now, but I think I was up at midnight-ish for an hour or so, then 2:30-ish for another hour or so, then 4 am for 2 hours, and I had to wake dear sleeping husband around 5-ish because T needed to nurse too, so he got to hang for an hour or so in the steamy bathroom with K. K went back to sleep at 6 and slept until 8 ish when I got up with her.

I declared night over and took K out of the room to get some breakfast and coffee! I figured I should let N (4), T and my sweet sleepy husband sleep. Housekeeping was right outside the door and I asked them to put up a "privacy please" sign. I explained 3 people were still sleeping in there. The housekeeper agreed and said she'd call for a sign. The guy who delivered the "privacy please" sign apparently didn't understand that he was just supposed to stick it on the door. He pounded on the door until my husband woke and proudly handed the sign to my husband. Ummmm, not the point. [Insert comment about the intelligence of the man who delivered the "privacy please" sign here.]

After everyone was awake, we decided to go ahead and go home on Saturday afternoon and cut our losses. We'd had a day of fun in the sun. We knew that the dry air wasn't good for K. I knew that I couldn't spend another night up in that little hotel bathroom. If K was going to be up all night again, I wanted the comforts of home. I wanted the rocking chair and our vaporizer and my very very very comfortable bed for the hours I did get to sleep. (Seriously, we have the world's most comfortable bed!)

The flight back wasn't too bad considering K had a cold. There was very little crying even though K's and N's ears hurt. They were such good girls. I think the trip was good, but not great. We learned some things about traveling with 3 though and that's important. For a trip to be great, it takes a lot. It's hard to compete against where we live. We left pretty darn good weather (~75-78) so the warm sunny get away wasn't as necessary this year. Last year when we went to our warm sunny spot it was in the 50's and raining. It's hard to compete against my bed too. Hotel beds just suck by comparison. I heart my bed!

In hindsight, I think I should have cancelled the trip on Monday after N came down with her cold on Sunday (2/5). I'm just not a big fan of travel. We had fun, but I think we could have had as much fun closer to home and with less hassle.

Last year, we met a friend where we went on vacation this year, and that was more fun. Next year, I'm hopeful that my friend can meet us there, and I'll happily go then, but if she can't, I don't think we'll go by ourselves again until the girls are older. The weather is nice enough where we live so that we don't have to fly somewhere to get away from the winter. Flying with 3 little ones is a pain, and I think we should save it for those times when we have to fly. Call me boring, but I just like the even keel.


I want to make sure that it's clear that I had a good time on the trip, but I also want to document the difficulties too so that when I look back at this later that I don't forget that things were hard at times. The hotel was nice, and the weather was really really wonderful. We are also lucky that we could take one of our nannies with us. It's still hard though. Traveling with another adult is difficult, no matter how much you like them. And traveling with the 3 little girls who all prefer Mom to any one else is hard! I love my little girls, but they are so little. They are really cute though. Our nanny was wonderful and I'm so glad she went.

No comments: