Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Memos...

I make plans, I make schedules, I try to make life as organized (ha!) as possible around here, but the 3 little girls I work for never read my memos! Life around here never seems to go as I planned.

Speaking of reading, today I'm reading about emergent literacy. What is emergent literacy you ask? Well, Whitehurst and Lonigan (1998) call emergent literacy the skills, knowledge, and attitudes that are presumed to be developmental precursors to conventional forms of reading and writing and the environments that support these developments (p. 849).

I'll be back later to talk more about literacy and skills necessary in young children... (if I can work it into the Agenda for the day, and if the little girls I work for read the Memo about the agenda...) And perhaps even some more bonus information... (once again if the little girls allow)




Whitehurst, G. J., & Lonigan, C. J. (1998). Child development and emergent literacy. Child Development, 69, 848-872.

No comments: