Saturday, September 10, 2011

A quickie

Hrm... trying out the new blogger interface. It's cleaner and the input area for making a post is bigger. I wonder if it works better on the iPad / iPhone. I'll have to try.  Not many thoughts on the new interface.  I'll have to use it a bit to see if I like it.

In the meantime, I'll just post a couple of thoughts so I don't forget what's going on in my life. It's very busy! It's good. Ask me at the end of the semester how I feel, but right now, I love it.  Right now, I'm:

 1. Organizing the house
2. Hanging in the girls' classrooms
3. Teaching my class
4. Working on the new big project
5. Trying to find new recipes

Today, in the organizing arena, I worked on my pantry. I started organizing before I realized I was doing it and I didn't get a "before" picture. It was BAD. The "after" looks a lot better, but I can't post it because you don't have anything to compare it to, and to some, it might look bad, still.

I'll try to take before pictures from now on, but sometimes I just start organizing before I realize it. (I'm on quite the organizing kick!)

In the recipe arena: Below is a recipe I found that I'm going to adapt and try. Hopefully, I'll make it tonight. I'll report back on how the girls like it.

(Note, I don't think I'll use ketchup and I imagine I'll try to add a little spinach to mine. I need to figure out what I'm going to do instead of ketchup... I think I'd rather do real garlic... Hrmmm... maybe I'll cook the beans first with some spices and then make into patties. I'll report back.)

From http://happyherbivore.com/2011/08/easy-black-bean-burger/
Black Bean Burgers Recipe
Servings: 4
Description: I developed these burgers in a hotel room: they’re quick, easy and require very few ingredients. (In fact, except for the beans and a seasoning packet, I sourced all the ingredients from the complimentary “breakfast bar”). I make these burgers any time I need a super fast meal or I’m really low on ingredients.

 Ingredients:
⅓ cup instant oats
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp ketchup
15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly pureed but still some half beans and bean parts are left. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined. Then mix in oats.

Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into thin patties. Bake for 7 minutes, carefully flip over and bake for another 7 minutes, or until crusty on the outside. Slap into a bun with extra condiments and eat!


Total Time: 20.00 min

Okay, I must get back to work before I get all sleepy and lose focus.  I got up early today and took my FAVORITE zumba class.  (Remind me to tell you more about exercise stuff, later.)

No comments: