Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Learning and memory

Tonight, the girls learned about crucifixion and amnesia. They learned over dinner* (crucifixion) and then from a Tom and Jerry episode (amnesia). Someday, maybe, they'll read this and have a lightbulb memory flash** to this night. Both topics probably made quite an impression, not to mention some new schema (organizers) in their little heads. twoK's face was especially horrified as I explained crucifixion. I wasn't trying to be graphic, I was doing "just the facts, Ma'am," but I may have added a little too much detail for her (twoK). MWH told them about amnesia, I missed that discussion.



*Also, they got reprimanded for always being smart alec-y when we're trying to tell them something. Thank goodness, they don't do that at school. Hopefully, we can get them to stop doing this at home. It's really annoying.


**Lighbulb memories are very salient or strong memories. Many people have them to different events. Those who were around when the Challenger crashed, or 9/11 often have flashes of everything around them (like in a picture) when they remember those events. I have flashes to both.

My Challenger one was in high school and G.M. told me about it after he'd run home (or come in late) that morning. He'd watched it on t.v.

My 9/11 one is in my house (on the mountain), standing in my kitchen (green counter and white and green kitchen floor) listening to the answering machine (in the corner of the kitchen by the laundry machines--white washer and dryer) as my brother left me a message on the answering machine. He said something about the World Trade Center being blown up. With that brother, I often can't tell if he's joking or not. I woke MWH and ran for my computer to Google. MWH turned on the t.v. We were glued there for hours. I was pregnant with oNe and she went crazy kicking that day (from all my stress hormones).

No comments: