Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Of course she waits until bedtime...

At bedtime, Three-a asked me, "How did the first animal get on earth if there wasn't anybody to born it?"

I kissed her because it was the best opener for explaining evolution. I explained how we started as single-celled creatures in the oceans and slowly those cells learned how to join together and do specialized jobs so they could become multi-cellular creatures.

She had quite a puzzled look on her face, so I did a quick web search and showed her this book. We previewed it and read (click to make it bigger):






We talked a little more about evolution and I said, "You're not going to understand it all tonight, but I'll get some books and we'll read them and keep talking. But now it's time for bed.

Despite me telling her it was bedtime, Three-a tried asking more fun questions to stall... they too were good.

Her: Do computers know everything?

Me: No, computers keep track of the information we humans have put in to them. We can find information on the computer, read it and then create knowledge and develop an understanding.

Her: But what if we still don't understand it?

Me: Then we look for other sites to explain it and we talk to people who can help us understand. Asking questions is the best way to learn... BUT NO MORE QUESTIONS as it's 10:15. Go to sleep.


Heh..... Recently, someone told me about this book. I may need it!

(I think I may have to give Three-a an award for asking the most insightful questions for a 5 year old! See previous example.)

No comments: