Sunday, May 01, 2011

Stalling....

It's very sad around here. twoK's kitty is very sick. I keep hoping that he'll get better, but if it's FIP, he won't. It's so unfair. On Wednesday, we called the rescue organization where we got him. They were very nice, comforting, and helpful. We got back in touch with the woman who was his foster mom. She came to visit and through a series of conversations she and I decided she'd take him with her back to her place so she could spend some time with him. She really loves him, too.

Neither she nor I want to believe he has FIP. I think it's good that she has him so she can see for herself how sick he is. Over the last few days, I've started to accept it as I've watched him get sicker. His poor little tummy is swelling with accumulating fluid. With "wet" FIP, they estimate a week to a month. It's been almost a week. It's such a horrible disease.

I'm also glad that she has him because she will be home with him during the week. We have a busy week, the girls have school and I have to work. He'd have had to be by himself quite a bit. I would have felt guilty. Sigh. It was hard, even earlier this weekend. It was hard because twoK wasn't spending much time with him. She wants to play with him. He doesn't want to play. She doesn't understand it. She wants him to sleep with her, but her room is so far from his litter box and I'm afraid our other kitty would attack him.

On Friday night, I had him sleep in his room, by himself. He was lonely. Sigh. Last night, I let him sleep with MWH and me. I didn't want to feel guilty for making him lonely. He purred and snuggled, but he was very restless. I got very little sleep. It was kind of like sleeping with a new baby. He was up and down, wanting food, needing to go to the bathroom, and trying to get comfortable. Poor guy. Tonight, he's with his foster mom. He'll have someone to snuggle with him.

twoK wants him back and was very sad that we let him go over there. She wants her kitty back. I want HER kitty back, too, but I don't know whether we'll bring him home or what will happen. I don't know if sending him over there was the right decision, or not. It feels like I'm just "stalling," but right now, I'm not ready to make a decision about him. He still is "being a cat" and I'm not ready to end that for him.

There's so much I don't know right now. I don't know if he would have gotten sick if we hadn't have adopted him. I'm guessing he was sick when we got him, but we'll never know for sure. I'm so sad. I feel like it's my fault. Everything I read says this is a common reaction and that most likely the cat has been sick for MONTHS already, long before you and s/he met--regardless, it just sucks and I feel guilty.




On another note, oNe has decided she does want to be a vet to help find a cure for this disease.

No comments: