Sunday, March 28, 2010

Vegan Brownies

You don't hear that phrase very often, I'm guessing. I made some. The first try for vegan brownies was a regular recipe with egg replacer and vegan butter instead of eggs and butter. In addition, there was flat (old) baking powder. I'm not sure which of the three ingredients (egg replacer, vegan butter or flat baking powder) caused the problem, but I think it was the flat baking powder. The brownies were very gooey and resembled fudge, not entirely a bad thing. We ate some.

Since I was a little worried the vegan butter might have also contributed to the weird texture, the next attempt was this recipe. I got new baking powder and the texture was great. They were good--even better with banana ice cream (did I tell you about that?).

I'm now thinking about my next attempt and maybe I'll try this recipe.

It's been a lazy fun weekend. It was MWH's birthday weekend! Today, we're going to plant in the new garden planter box that MWH built. (I'll have pictures on the "other" blog.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a book all about making vegan cupcakes. The chocolate ones are easy and sooooo delicious! When I get settled again and (find the book) I will try to send you the recipe! :-) ~ KH

PS said...

Oh, I have a book on vegan cupcakes too! It was a gift from CH. I'll bring it in to work. :) :) I haven't made any from it yet, but they sure do look yummy.