Friday, August 07, 2009

blog while my arms still work

I went to see the personal trainer today at the gym. I've been wanting to work with him for a while. We'll call him, um, TG (for Trainer Guy).

I haven't really done weight training before. I do weights at the end of my aerobics class and push ups, but I know I need to do more. When I was working with the trainer he was surprised at how little weight training I've done. He said for as little as I've done I have good muscular definition. I do push ups, I told him. He didn't think that push ups would account for all the definition. I told him I lift 3 little girls all the time... I stop lifting them when they get to be 40 pounds, but it's a lot of lifting. He didn't think that could do it, but he's never been a MOM, so how can he truly know? Moms do a LOT of lifting. I know I'm a lot stronger from all the little girl carrying (and all the equipment you need for kids....).

He showed me 12 (I think) exercises. Some with free weights and some with machines. Let's see we did chest, back, biceps and triceps and we did three exercises for each so that is 12. I remember most of it, and could probably show you, but I can't write it yet. I don't have all the words. He made me a little chart, so at least I have that at the gym to use. Maybe I should type it up. Hrm. Maybe.

He took it kind of easy on me, not heavy weights, as he wanted me to learn correct form. Despite the light weights, I will be sore tomorrow. I guess they weren't *that* light. 15 to start and then he figured 10 would make it so I could concentrate on the moves better and then we went down to 7.5 and then down again to 5 at the end. I was working hard and my muscles were shaking. I am sure I'll be a little sore (in a good way!) tomorrow.

I had hoped I could get it in 3 visits with him, and feel comfortable with weights, but I think 6 is more reasonable for me to really get it.... Or maybe maybe I can get it in 4.... We'll do legs and abs next time. I imagine I'll feel a little more confident about my legs than arms, but we'll see. I work with a friend* (after Zumba) who has worked with TG before and she'll help me get the right form too.


*It's great, I've made some friends at Zumba. I really like K (the person I do weights with). I talk with S, B, L, and P a lot too. We have a lot of Zumba-love in the room at Zumba. It's such a great, fun class!

No comments: