Thursday, May 21, 2009

Back in the saddle?

1. The new proposal for work is done. We learned a lot, we'll see if we can get more funding to continue to do this new thing.

For June, I have 3 things scheduled. Yikes. I'm going to be busy--when am I not? A friend commented on this the other day... I am used to being busy, and if I'm not, I am bored, and slightly depressed. I am used to this crazy pace. Being busy is definitely cheaper than therapy (heh).

2. Traveling alone with twoK was good. She spent most of the trip trying to teach herself to read. She's making a lot of progress. For someone who has not yet gone to kindergarten, she's amazing! Her determination to figure out how to read is inspiring to watch. I wish every student had this kind of determination. She's spelling lots of words as well. Super fun.

3. I have a friend of a friend coming to our house to spend an hour a week working with the girls and teaching them Spanish. I wanted to get them in a class together, but I couldn't find a class that would do mixed-age like they are. I think having them learn together makes a lot of sense. They talk about the experience after together and they reinforce each other's learning. It's almost like how they acquire a first-language, except no one in the house is an expert (I don't speak Spanish--I wish I did!). I'm learning a little, but I figure if we travel to a Spanish speaking land one day, it will be great having 3 who can speak and help me learn! Someday, I'll take a class...

4. Speaking of classes, I got word that OLU, where I teach, won't need me this fall because they aren't getting enough students to hire an outside professor. I guess, there's a SMALL (heh, small written in all caps) chance that it will work out and I will get to teach the course, but, if it doesn't, it's okay. I spoke to the professor who hired me last fall and she reassured me it was just budgetary and that they wanted me. I felt better after that. The economy sucks. I have a day job, one that I like, so it's okay.

It's especially okay because twoK is starting Kindergarten and I will want to be in her classroom a few hours a week... and a few hours a week with oNe.... I'm going to be busy volunteering! And, maybe I can find the time to get certified to teach Zumba. I need to find someone to apprentice with after I get certified. I am sad about not getting to teach at OLU, but hopefully by fall 2010.... You know, now that I'm okay with NOT teaching this fall, it will probably work out that I'll get a class. (Murphy's law or something like it.)

5. What else....

6. oNe is taking a hip hop class. I love it!

7. We're on our way to go see our friends and hang with them in Seattle. Woo!

8. My supervisor and wonderful friend is going away for 3 weeks. We're gone this week so it's going to be mid-June before I see her... I'm gonna miss her! (And, how did it get to be ALMOST June??????)

9. How are you all doing? I haven't heard from some of you for a while. Update me on you!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Spanish immersion. Great idea! My kids understand a lot but they don't speak much. It's such a pity, isn't it? Especially because I'm completely fluent AND I speak a lot of spanish. Tsk! Tsk! Nino!

Enjoy Seattle! I'm still bummed I missed KJ when she was here. :(

Zaz said...

I'm way behind on my blog reading... this is my first catch-up since moving! Sign of the times...