Friday, August 03, 2007

Planning

I'm trying to plan my schedule for the fall. Here's what it looks like thus far.

M-Th I work a lot... (If only I wasn't teaching...) I do have some flexibility built in each day (can start later on T or Th or end earlier any day if /when needed), but I need to do a lot during the day so I don't have to stay up late at night working. If I can keep most of my work during the days most weeks, I think I'll be a lot happier on the weekends too. We'll see how it goes.

I'm trying to keep Fridays free from work and for the girls. T and K have gymnastics Friday morning... Then K has school. I'd like to volunteer in N's kindergarten classroom on Friday afternoons.

I'm still waffling about whether I should try to take a leave from my job for a few months while I teach this fall. I've heard that it's an option to take up to a 6 month leave. I haven't looked into it yet though to see for sure.

The schedule looks daunting. I keep telling myself not to panic yet... See how it feels and how crazy it is to work and teach. It may not be too bad. Maybe since I'm more prepared for it, and since I've been working hard to plan ahead for my class, it won't be as insane as it was last semester. We'll see.

I've also learned some things this summer. One thing, is to make sure I don't agree to things on tight deadlines. If something HAS to be done by a certain date while I'm still teaching, I should NOT be involved.

There are a lot of projects that don't have tight deadlines so I need to just work on those and not agree to anything short deadline and insane. Even if it sounds like a REALLY FUN short project. (That's always my problem, things sound fun and I say yes! Must practice NO.)

Another thing I've realized, is that my schedule isn't just about me any more... It's about the 3 little girls too. The summer has been kind of crazy... but not as crazy as last summer! (I'm learning slowly!)

I want to spend time with the little girls. I don't want to have to work every night from 10-midnight and in the morning from 7-8:30 am to fit in everything. I don't want to have to call on MWH to pick up the slack when I get insane as often as I did last semester. (He's so amazing. He puts up with my insane schedule! He wants me to be happy.) I'm almost sastisfied with how much time I will get with the little girls, but I would like to work one less day a week. I don't think teaching and working will work out long term. I'm trying to figure out the best solution for everyone involved.

Now I need to go put on Quant-girl Costume. It's almost fitting.

No comments: