Friday, July 20, 2007

You pick the title

It could be...

And that my dear friends is how I ended up with a coffee stain on my underwere

Or

Other than that Mrs JK how was your morning

Or

Little things just take a little time, but sometimes there are JUST TOO MANY LITTLE THINGS

Or

Really, there is no reason to complain... Stop your whining.

Or

ARRRRRGGGHHHH!

Or

I wish I were higher maintenance.


Yea, it's a cryptic post. Yes, a lot is going on. The thing that bugs me is that it's a problem that isn't even mine. It's the trickle down stress from someone else that is pretty much causing all my stress. I pick up on other people's stress and problems. I internalize them. I worry. I worry much more about other people than myself. It can really be a problem.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

I am a solutions kind of person and I love giving people advice so here is my advice for worrying. I find it very helpful.

1. Block out half an hour in your schedule to worry in (OK so I know that seems impossible but it will save you more than half an hour).

2. Before that time when you start to worry about stuff tell yourself "I'll worry about that later, in my worry time."

3. When the time comes sit down with a cup of coffee, and bunch of pieces of paper and a pen (or a computer).

4. Spend 25 minutes frantically writing down _everything_ you are worrying about. (I use one piece of paper for each general category and then bullet points for each thing under that e.g.
HOUSE MAINTENANCE
- outside gate
- H&K's door
- ...)

5. Notice if you are still going strong at the end of 25 minutes or if you have run out of things that you are worried about.

6. Spend the last five minutes working out a short list of 3 to 5 things you are going to do. Choose things that are achievable, important and will reduce the biggest worries.

7. If you could worry for 25 minutes solid schedule your next worry time.

I am told that if you are a chronic worrier that doing this daily (that is forcing yourself to spend 25 minutes a day worrying) will help you overcome it. I haven't done that. I do use this technique once every month or two when everything seems overwhelming and it helps me.