Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Fourth things...

When I was a kid, we would have HUGE parties on the Fourth of July. It was a great day. All of the aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors and friends would come. Some would even travel great distances to come. There were horsehoe tournaments, BBQ ribs, firecrackers during the day, and a fireworks show we put on ourselves at night. We lived far away from the city back then and it was GREAT. It all ended when I was about 13 or so. All of the cousins were grown up, married and with kids. We no longer lived far away from the city. They city had grown and was part of our backyard. It was the end of an era.

My parents let me light firecrackers myself.... I know I was doing it at 5.5 and I think I was doing it at 3.5 and 4.5. I sure hope I was well supervised. I have no idea why my parents let me. There is NO way I'd let N (5) or K (3) touch them, let alone light them. The only thing I can come up with is that they must not have loved me very much. I also have memories of running around outside by myself for hours on end when I was 3 and 4 so this helps advance the "no love" theory.

I know my parents loved me.... I know it was just a different time back then.... For fun, leave me a comment and share stories of things you remember doing when you were a kid that you wouldn't EVER let your kids do now!

One time when I was about 11, I had strep throat on the 4th. I was so sad. I was old enough to be inside by myself while the party went on outside. Sigh. At the end of the day, my Mom let me get up and watch some of the fireworks. I was so happy.




Today, for the 4th, we took the little girls swimming at the Y with a friend (Hi DK!). T (22 months) really likes swimming. At one point, T was walking on the steps and threw herself in the deeper water and went under. It startled her a little, but I pulled her up and made it "fun" and she was okay with it. She went under a few more times because she was pretty fearless about bouncing around in the shallow end.

We ate lunch with DK and her daughter and then came back to our house and played. I was very grumpy today... I guess I'm just tired. I got a little nap this afternoon, and then had more coffee around 5. I feel much more like a human being. (Sorry MWH for being so grumpy today! I rarely am as grumpy as I was today... I was a bear or some other b word!)

Now, we're going to attempt to take the 3 little girls to see fireworks at the city event. I hope the girls aren't scared of the noise. Wish us luck. We'll be out way past bedtime.

No comments: