Thursday, March 01, 2007

Trying to put it all together...

On the way to gymnastics yesterday, K (2.75) said, "If you run, you shouldn't run with ice cream and spill it on the sidewalk..."

Ummmmm, Okay. It seemed kind of random, but I figured it wasn't, so I asked her who she saw spilling ice cream on the sidewalk.

She said, "That boy on Curious George." Ahhh... (I am a bad Mommy and let my kids watch some TV. Okay, I'm over that guilt! I keep promising a post on why I don't think some TV, carefully chosen, is that bad, but I don't ever seem to get around to it.
Someday! I must also say that I don't really LIKE Curious George, but in the scheme of things he's not that bad... He annoys me now, but as a kid I liked reading books about him.)

Miss K spends a lot of time making sense of what she sees in the world around her and that includes what she sees on TV (she only watches educational or positive pro-social shows!).

It's all part of getting it together and gaining a better understanding of the world around her. I love how funny some of the things are that she says! She is so yummy! My little snuggler!

1 comment:

RUTH said...

For a long time I said that H & K didn't watch any TV because I was saving it up so that if they ever had chicken pox or something I'd have a magic trick to pull out of my hat. Well, they had chicken pox and I didn't need the magic trick so they still don't watch TV at all. I totally agree that some TV, carefully chosen is fine.

I grew up in a house without a TV, we used to watch TV at Grandma's on Sunday afternoons but I think she only got one when I was 6 or so. I bought a TV when I moved out of home. Some of the downsides of not watching TV as a child are: not developing the skill of ignoring it and missing out on knowledge and culture that is common to everyone else.