Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The night before

On the eve of our wedding, I couldn't sleep. I was so excited. I was so nervous. Even though we had a small-ish wedding (~80 people) these were 80 people very important to us. I don't know why I was so nervous, but I was. The day was great. Better than I ever imagined possible.

On the eve of our 8th wedding anniversary, I couldn't sleep. Not because I was nervous, but because baby girl #3 (13.5 months) thought it would be fun to get up and play. She woke up at 1 am and kept me up (on and off) until 3 am. I don't like it when my babies cry in the middle of the night.

I do what I think needs to be done. In the middle of the night, my decisions may or may not be that rational. My first goal is to keep my husband asleep. He gets grumpy and I don't. My second goal is to get the baby to sleep as quickly as possible. T has gotten me up more in the middle of the night than the other two. Miss K (29 months) wakes up earlier and sleeps the least, but Miss T is a light sleeper it seems.

(Miss N slept like an amazing dream baby pretty much since 6 weeks old. No complaints.)

Anyway, yesterday, after my adventures with T in the middle of the night, and then the phone rang at 7:45 and woke me (I ended up getting about 5 hours of sleep) I was exhausted. I typically get 6-7 hours a night. I can function, but my body prefers 7-8 with a nine-hour night thrown in occasionally for good measure. Despite my exhaustion*, we had a lovely day on our anniversary. My husband and I love to hang out. We didn't do anything really major, in fact, just the opposite. We did all of the mundane things that we never get a chance to do together.

I take this as a good sign. We don't need to do major things, we just want to be together. Someday, we'll go to a lovely beach resort (with day care) but not for another year or two. As soon as T is old enough to participate in things we'll do it.

Anyway... From 11-ish - 8-ish it was just MWH and me. We do need and want more time alone together, but we are also very wimpy when it comes to leaving our children. He feels as guilty as I do if we don't see them and put them to bed. It's nice to be on the same page as your partner. He and I are pretty much on the same word on the same page.

The day ended with me in severe pain (my head was pounding) from lack of sleep and the tale end of this cold. After T went to bed, MWH took over with the older two and I crawled into bed and read blogs. I couldn't really post because I was too tired, but I could read. I tried to go to sleep around 9:30. I fell asleep officially around 11 and got up around 8:30. I feel MUCH better today. I am sad because I can't hang all day with MWH.


*When I am tired, I get punchy. Yesterday I was extremely punchy. This makes MWH laugh. We like to laugh, so it's not a bad thing.

No comments: