Monday, February 06, 2006

I love them, but I don't recommend this

I love my little girls. Fiercely. Like a mama bear. However, I don't recommend having 3 in under 4 years. I have a friend who had 4 in under 4 years (twins one time) and I don't know how she does it. (They say, and it's true from my perspective, that N-1 children is always significantly easier than N!) (We're thinking of borrowing a child from a friend for a few days so we can learn how to handle 4 so that when we give the kid back our 3 are easy.)

Anyway... let me re-iterate in case I wasn't clear, I don't recommend 3 kiddos in under 4 years. From my observations of my 3 and seeing my friends who have 2 or more kids, 3-4 years (or more) apart is ideal. Maybe it's not ideal for the kids, and maybe the kids I have will be best friends and I'll be so happy soon, but for the parents, when they are young, it is easier to have them a little more spread than what mine are. I know I'm not the first person who's made this observation, but it is one that I've made. My older 2 are almost 2.5 years apart. They were hard, but the 15 months apart that #2 and #3 are was significantly harder.

We didn't think we were going to have 3. And then when I started to think about having 3, I figured we'd start to think about trying to get a #3 when #2 was about 2 or 3. Surprise. Life had other plans for me and I have two way closer than I'd planned.

I am so happy I have 3 little girls. I love them. I really really love them. They are my life. They challenge me though. I couldn't have had a blog when I only had 2 kids. I was boring then. I mean, yeah, it was challenging, but nothing like this. I am so in over my head sometimes.

Maybe if I didn't work. But I love my work. I often wonder if I am selfish because I work. I went to school forever and I do something I love. Maybe it's selfish, but it's important to me and ultimately I think it's important for them to see me doing something I love and being fairly successful at it. I've said this in other posts, but it's something I think about all the time. I always wonder if I've made the right decision to work, but if I ever think about not working, I have a panic attack.

In a few years, it will all be different. It will probably be significantly easier. Each of my little girls will have 2 built-in playmates and hopefully they will get along well. If it's not going to be easier in a few years, don't tell me. I don't want to know. I want to live in my delusional fantasy for a while longer. It keeps me going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's encouraging...
You don't have to protest so much--of course you love them, but if they didn't make you crazy, who would read or listen to anything you said? No, everyone would be busy bad-mouthing you behind your back. ANd you SHOULD work. We don't have to give up everything for them. Really. It's better for them if we don't. I have to believe THAT!

ANd finally, I cannot believe you would even consider skipping PS for a cold. Projectile vomiting across the plane, yes. Runny nose? You're insane. We are flying to Key Largo next week unless I am actually in labor.